Sunday, August 28, 2016

Saratoga Travers Saturday Aug. 27-2016

 Entrance to Saratoga Race Track
A buddy of mine from work asked me this week if I wanted to do a day trip to Saratoga Race Track, nicknamed The Spa, for the 147th running of the Travers Stakes race on Saturday. Of course I said yes. 
 The Clubhouse end from the apron
Everyone that I know or have met in horse racing has told me that The Spa is the greatest. I certainly cant argue that after being there!
 The Grandstand end from the apron
The weather was just spectacular, and the track facilities themselves are just incredible!
 Flowers on the grandstand
 At the entrance fountain
 Myself with Bethann and Sam the Bugler
When I walked down to Winner Circle for the first race, I saw Bethann Dixon and Sam the Bugler ready to play the Call to Post. I have just recently won an art contest for the cover art for the Maryland Million Gala program with my drawing of Bethann. This was the first time we had spoken since the contest results were released.
 Bethann Dixon Drawing
 With Penelope Miller
During the day I saw Penelope Miller a couple times. Penelope is a photographer and Senior Manager for ABR Live (Americas Best Racing). She had taken the photograph that I did the drawing of Nyquist from. I met her during Preakness week at the ABR Preakness Party.
 Nyquist Drawing
 Starting gates getting set for the Travers
Race 11 of the 13 race card was the 147th running of the Travers, The race is a Grade 1, 1 1/4 mile two turn race on the dirt with a purse of $1,250,000. Called the "Mid Summer Derby", the Travers features many of the best three year olds in the country, Many of whom have been in the Triple Crown races over the Summer.
Ready for the Travers
Exaggerator coming onto the track
Exaggerator won the Preakness, the second leg of the Triple Crown. That was my first Triple Crown race.
My Exaggerator Drawing
 Gun Runner won the Louisiana Derby this Summer
 Creator
Creator won the third leg of the Triple Crown, the Belmont Stake, and the Arkansas Derby this year
 Connect
 Destin
 Arrogate at the wire
Arrogate, trained by Bob Baffert put on such an amazing performance! Arrogate with Mike Smith up, won the race by 12 lenghts, and smashed the track recond with a time of 1:59:36.
Arrogate heading to Winners Circle with Mike Smith up
 Miss Temple City coming onto the track
The 12th race of the card was the Ballston Spa, a Grade 2 Stake race for Fillies and Mare 3 years old and up. Two turns on the 1 1/16 mile turf course. I was excited to see Miss Temple City who I drew earlier this year. 
Miss Temple City Drawing
 Caton Breder from TVG
Eric Kalet shooting at Winners Circle
Eric is a photographer for the Paulick Report. He and I have become friends on Twitter, and we were able to meet at Black Eyed Susan Day this year at Pimlico.

No comments:

Post a Comment